Fri March 22, 2013
Church Fire Sparked By Old Computer Monitor
Investigators are blaming a 1980’s-era computer monitor for a fire that ravaged a Clearfield church this week.
“I was getting ready to yell out, ‘Did anyone call 911 yet?’ and the police came up the street.”
Jamie Monson lives right across the street from where an old monitor overheated and sparked the Tuesday afternoon blaze in the Clearfield Community Church library.
North Davis District Interim Fire Chief Mark Becraft estimated the damages at between $750,000 and $1 million. Monson says that damage is apparent.
“It’s gutted. I know that there’s a lot of water and smoke damage from, you know, and then all the windows, of course, are broke out. They said they were going to end up demolishing the part that’s by us, which was the chapel. And they had just barely renovated everything.”
Pastor John Parsley said the church has insurance to cover the costs, and received several offers of alternative meeting places to use while members are displaced.
He says the congregation is planning to meet this Sunday at Wasatch Elementary School.
Brianna’s passion for journalism comes from a love of learning and a desire to know everything. She studies Broadcast Journalism and Political Science at Utah State University and hopes one day to travel the world reporting hard news. She also works as the Aggie Radio news director and a reporter for USU TV.